Shri. KRISHNA BALLESH (Patiala Gharana)
Hindustani Classical Shehnai Player and Hindustani Classical Vocalist
Krishna Ballesh is an Indian musician who plays the shehnai, and is also a Hindustani Classical Vocalist, specializing in Patiala, Kirana and Gwalior gharanas. He is also a ghazal singer.
Basically a software engineer, he did his Sangit Alankar from Gandharav Mahavidyalaya. He received Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Hindustani Classical Music from the Indira Sangeet Mahavidhyalaya, Khairagarh, M.P. He also has finished his Sangeet Praveen and Sangeet Prabhakar from the Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad.
Early Life and Career :-
Krishna was born on 5th November in M.K.Hubli (Belgaum district) Karnataka, is from a family of Hindustani Vocalists and Shehnai players, which began playing in the 1600s. He got trained in Shehnai under the distinguished tutelege of world renowned Shehnai Maestro Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan Saheb.
His grand father Late. Pandit Sanna Bharamanna was a noted Shehnai player from whom he received his initial training, who was also a batch-mate (Guru Bandhu) of Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi. Later he continued his training under his father Pandit S. Ballesh, a legendary shehnai player, who is entitled as “Shehnai Chakravathy”, of South Indian film music and Dakshin Bharat Bismillah Khan by his Guru.
From the age of 7, he started his Hindustani vocal training in Kirana gharana from the Late Pandit Dr. DP. Hiremath from M.K Hubli. At the age of 10, he started learning Gwalior gharana and bhajans from Pandit Puttaraja Gawai of Gadag. He started giving performances in sangeet sabhas and since his childhood, is highly inspired by his father’s Patiala gharana vocal style.
He further honed his singing by getting trained under Pandit Sri. Kodhanda Singh Salunke Maharaj and Pandit Sri. Prakash Singh Salunke (Pune), who were the Asthan Vidhwans in the Court of Hyderabad Nizam. There he was trained in Khayal gayaki, Ghazals and Thumris.
His debut Shehnai performance was at Chennai along with his father Pandit S. Ballesh in the presence of Ustad Bismillah Khan. Witnessing his performance Ustad sahab, later took him under his wings to Benaras and was sought to be his shishya
He stayed there for many years, and underwent rigorous sessions of Shehnai training through daily riyaaz. Ustad’s younger son Ustad Nazim Hussain would accompany them on tabla. There he learnt the Banarasi Gharana, Shehnai Khayal Gayaki ang, Thumri ang, Dhun and Kajri. He accompanied Ustad saab at the Ganga Mahotsav in Varanasi. Krishna refined his techniques and mastery under Ustad’s guidance.
Film Music :-
He is also playing for up and coming film composers of India and is singing for many back -ground scores, devotional and private album.
Recently, the father son duo rendered their duet Shehnai piece in Hollywood the Film “ The Hunderd Foot Journey -2014 ” for the track titled India Calling.
Awards and recognition :-
• Sur Mani Award By Sur Singar Academy (Bombay),
• Shehnai Ratna Ganayogi Panchakshari Gavayi Sangeet Yogashram Trust (Chennai),
• Sangit Kala Ratna (Kalarasana Academy),
• Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Yuva Puraskar,
• Sangeet Ratna Award By Sur Sagar Academy,
• Yuva Kala Bharathi Award By Kashi Viswanatha Organisation,
• Bhajan Samarat By Kashi Math Banaras.
He has performed in front of noted personalities like Smt. Dr. Gangubai Hangal, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Kannada Super Star Dr. Rajkumar, Swami Jayendre Saraswathi Swamigal, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Ustad Rahmat Khan, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Dr L.Subramanium, Pt Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Maestro Illayaraja, S.P.Balasubramanium, Hamsalekha, Violin Maestro M.S. Gopal krishnan, Lalgudi Jayaraman, M.S.Viswanathan, Music Director G.K.Venkatesh, Singer S.Janaki, Singer P.B.Srinivas, Vani Jairam, Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan, Carnatic Vocalist M.Bala Murali Krishna, Violinist Chandrasekaran, Pt M. Venkatesh Kumar, Pt Shivanand Patil, Pt Vinayak Torvi, Pandit Puttaraj Gawai, Kunnakudi Vidyanathan, Saxophone Player Kadri Gopalnathan, A.R.Rahman.
Film and Television :-
Krishna Ballesh was also part of film recordings and has performed in various live shows alongside noted composers like M.S.Viswanathan, Illayaraja, A.R.Rahman, M. M. Keeravani, Shyam Joseph, Anu Malik and Hamsalekha. He had been one of the judges for several regional reality shows like Saptha-Swarangal in Sun TV, Ragamalika in Jaya TV, S.P. Balasubramanium’s Ennodu Pattu Padangal in Kalaingar TV and Hindi Zee Sa Re Ga Ma Pa in Zee TV.
Major performances :-
• Ustad Bismillah Khan Sangeet Ustav,
• Mudhara Sangeet Ustav Chennai,
• Pandit Sawai Gandharav Sangeet Samellan (Kundagol),
• Pandit Basavaraj Rajguru Sangeet samellan,
• Pt. Kumar Gandharav Sangeet Samellan (Belgaum),
• Pandit Mallikarjun Mansur Sangeet Ustav (Dharwad),
• Sangeet Ustav (youth festival hall) (chennai),
• Ganayogi Panchakshari Sangeet Sammellan (gadag),
• Viswa Kala Sangam Music festival,
• Mewati Gharana Sangeet Sammellan (kerala),
• Swami Haridas Sangeet Sammellan (mumbai),
• Smt. Krishna Hanagal Memorial Festival (hubli),
• Bharat Kalachar Sangeet Ustav (chennai),
• Tansen Sangeet Sammellan (Chennai),
• Ganga Mahostav (varanasi),
• Navarathri Music Festival (chennai),
• Ustad Ahmed Hussain Khan Music circle,
• Ustad Rahamad Khan Sangeet Ustav (chennai),
• Kalarasana music festival,
• Ganayogi Panchakshari Sangeet Ustav (bangalore),
• Pt. Krishna Anand Music Festival,Chennai
• Swami Ramana Maharishi Birthday Ustav (thiruvanamalai)
• Raag – Rangi – Raat Sangeet Sammellan (ernakulam),
• Swarana Jayanthi Hindu Dharma Foundation,
• Shirdi Sai Baba Sangit Samaroha (Shirdi),
• Saptha Rasa Music Festival (RAS BARSE)Chennai,
• Akhila Bharatiya Vachana Sahitya Sangit Sammellan (Bangalore),
• Sri Krishna Sangit Ustavam (Chennai),
• Sri Krishna Sangit Sammellan (Bhopal),
• Sur Singar Sansad Sangit Sammellan (Mumbai)
About Shehnai :
Shehnai is an old wind instrument associated with the temples of India.Shehnai creates a Mangal Dhwani, an auspious sound.Our great one and only maestro Shehnai Nawaz Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan elevated shehnai to the rank of a classical concert instrument,all the important events of an Indian life, a birth, a marriage, a religious festival, a social gathering, etc are iniated with the sound of shehnai.. the tone of a shehnai brings blessing in the atmosphere
Contact Details :-
Shri. Krishna Ballesh
Hindustani Classical Shehnai Artist and Vocalist,
Ghazal Singer, Thumari’s, Thappa, Bhajans.
Shri. Krishna Ballesh
C/o Shri. Vasant J Daskonavar
No 148, Padmaraj Nagar
Gokul road (Dharwad District)
Hubli – 580030,
Karnataka State, India
Shri. Krishna Ballesh
No 37, AVM Street
Saligramam, Chennai – 600092
Tamil Nadu, India
Mobile No : +919884295357, +919884395357, +919962603230.
House No : 044 -23765849, 044 -23763849.
Website – krishnaballesh.weebly.com
Email Id – email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.